Wednesday, January 2, 2019


Scooter Sonnet

Informed informants brought a scooter
to the park and turned it into officers there.
Those officers sure could scoot.  And they
could consider themselves found property –
a form of found poem if no poet reports it
stolen. The officers were not investigated
even if several found poets were. 
The Giants beat the Cubs by five and
the officers claimed victory.  But everyone
knew the poets really won.  Fer Chrissakes!
The Cubs only got two hits!  The poets thanked
all of us for finding one more lost
poem of loss and rediscovery & embracing
the true métier of life in a baseball universe. 

Toad Sonnet

Toad was there and so was I and so were you
and so was she.  She was more beautiful than
I ever remembered and you were just as
beautiful as you were when we were in love.
He could drive he could.  Drove the track like
his father and brothers before him and I always
had to wonder what you thought.  Never thought
to even wonder why you might have thought it.
And what did she think?  Hard enough to remember
what I did.  My father’s Dodge Dart skidding
off the track on the way back to the Cascade.
Me on a mission that had neither merit nor name
and never quite died thereafter.  I remember.  I remember.
I even remember not even remembering who I was.

Sunnyvale Sonnet

The truck full of soft drink left and she
went with it and then the telephone rang. 
The truck had rolled and so had she.  I should
get there but I didn’t have the car.  She did.  But how,
how I kept insisting, could both have rolled?  She didn’t
exactly know but I should get there if I could. 
The tide had risen remarkably.  In fact
it was just out the door and waving in.
I was worried, there was every reason to be.
So her mother and father and I went to
the back door and the next wave came
rolling down the mountains from the other side. 
It was most disturbing.  I was most disturbed. 
It did not seem like it could end very well, at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment